The Foul Feather!

Once there were two birds, they use to live 'happily' with us -- in their cage. Ya ya! I know that's prison, cruel, barbaric blah blah blah..., but they loved me and acrobated cheerfully to my whistles.
I thought it was a win-win relationship -- I provide them care and in return they cheer up their good master, me -- until one day when a strong gust of wind tore opened the cage and blew them away.
I kept water and seeds outside for a few days thinking they might find it hard out there, but very soon realized that I was only fooling myself. -- There is no substitute for feeling of soaring in the sky.
The other day I was teaching my 4+ to sing/act "If I were a butterfly..." and she started I want wings, wings.... OoOoo! It never occurred to me before that I actually lacked this vital part because of which I have/will always be confined to earth and never truly be free.
But wait a minute, how about the things up there in the blue sky? Are they really that free? What about the no-fly zones which keep them off the plane path? What about the scarecrows and pesticides which prevent them from destroying crops? What about the Dastardlys, Muttleys chasing them with stones, guns, dogs, etc... for a game?
And oh, what about the birds who don't fly or have shed their evolutionary advantage to do so, are they just about as happy as their airborne cousins?
So why all this fascination for wings and what does it mean to humankind more power/freedom/inspiration or are they a just a metaphor for depression, that the real life is never as good as our hopes and dreams?
Either way, it doesn't make me flap my arms. 
I believe that in order to live our earthly existence, besides the fundamental things, we need some level of security, stability and comfort at home, work or in relationships and maybe few 'feathers of an ostrich' to balance these things while we are running to chase the unending demands of our wants.
Talking of wings:
Why chickens gave up flying?
Because KFC air-dropped food to them on the ground
&
Why Babush was flying with $10 million?
To hide it up high -- away from 40 other thieves

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter