The 1st Brush Off!
 
I remember in my school days going home and complaining about beating by teachers and my parents paying no heed other than blaming me for it. But what if the teacher complains?
Yesterday my daughter’s teacher complained to me that she is not talking anything and if she continues like this it will be difficult for her in next class. Well I tried to convince her that my 4.4-year-old is not a mute swan.
And at home, I told my wife and we cornered her and asked why she’s not talking in the school and she retorted: F... Off.
Amazed and alarmed, my wife tried to explain her that it’s shut up but she repeated Noooo F... Off, F... Off.
Just 10 minutes earlier, her teacher was complaining that she’s not talking and here we have to convince her to Brush (it) Off. They say you learn faster when you know the foul words first... in that sense one could say she’s right on the track.
Well, what hurt me more was the teacher’s attitude/remark that she’ll find it difficult in future.... It makes me wonder: is she really worried about the pupil’s future or her reputation that what the 2nd class teacher will think of her when this kid in that class not parrot her A for apple, B for banana and C for ... line, or is she thinking about her personal advancement, or best teacher medal. Quite frankly it freaks me out whenever somebody worries so deeply about my daughter’s future -- of course other than MFs and the politicians.
Besides, it envies me to see that these “desperate housewives” imparting stereotype syllabus being adored so much by the kids that even if we try to show them alternative way they shout back: Naaah!... teacher said like this.
* Recently one of my acquaintances called me up to inquire about placing an ad in the paper of their kids who had won 1st place at a science project competition for ME region in Delhi and saw that the report appeared in papers with picture of kids surrounded by teachers and principal. Then a few days later excitedly he told me they are going for the all-India level competition. Having heard no news of it for some time I asked him what happened and he told me that their project was ranked 55th. Well I’m glad that at least one frog has learned that it is far brighter outside than he thought. (12/11/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter